IABC New Orleans posts local job listings as a courtesy to our members. To add a listing to this page, please send information to Leslie Salinero at firstname.lastname@example.org. Job postings will be listed for 30 days. If you fill a job, please let us know right away so we can remove the posting from our site. We reserve the right to edit job postings to meet standards and accommodate space.
Listing opens September 19, 2017 and closes when filled. Candidates must apply for this position on the Convention Center website: mccno.com/careers
COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR – NEW ORLEANS ERNEST N. MORIAL CONVENTION CENTER
Salary Range: $19.23 To $21.64 Hourly
Worker Category : Administrative Full Time
The Communications Coordinator performs all clerical and administrative duties necessary to support department management and senior- level staff including overseeing special projects as assigned.
Perform all clerical and administrative duties necessary to support department management and senior-level staff.
• Relieve management of administrative details including but not limited to: faxing, printing, collating, scanning, mail retrieval/distribution; package shipping and handling as well as labeling.
• Answer phones in a professional and courteous manner, assist callers with requests and/or route calls to the appropriate personnel/department, take complete and accurate messages for unavailable personnel and communicate messages in a timely manner.
• Support management in scheduling, organizing and executing site visits and facility tours; coordinating parking arrangements; receiving visitors; escorting photographers.
• Accurately prepare and submit monthly expense report for management.
• Organize and maintain inventory control of collateral materials, promotional items and office supplies, including obtaining price quotes and entering quotes in the internal tracking/approval system.
Regularly maintain all Convention Center websites as directed.
• Make content changes, add and replace photos, maintain event calendars.
• Troubleshoot website issues and communicate issues to web developer in a timely manner.
Assist with routine photography, graphic design, and social media projects.
• Assist in producing PowerPoint presentations; re-sizing logos and photos; creating online photo galleries; fulfilling photo requests.
• Routinely photograph events in the building for social media posts and for marketing archives.
• Coordinate with photographer to capture professional images of major events.
• Post photos and news releases to all of the Convention Center’s social media accounts as directed.
Maintain online media coverage and news distribution.
• Format and assist with drafting news releases for distribution online, using online software program, and for monthly board meeting report.
• Track and compile media coverage daily via online system for use in monthly board meeting report.
• Prepare monthly Communications report with accompanying PowerPoint slides.
• Create bi-annual archive of media clippings.
Maintain comprehensive mailing list and online email database.
• Regularly maintain local, national and trade media lists via online system and create new lists as assigned.
• Regularly maintain Convention Center’s mailing list and online email database of government officials, clients, hospitality partners and others.
Prioritize and plan work activities, use time efficiently to ensure that deadlines are met.
• Maintain accuracy, thoroughness and confidentiality and perform under minimal supervision including troubleshooting as needed.
• Use creativity in developing more efficient office administrative methods and procedures.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Individual must be proficient at typing and demonstrate an aptitude for learning various software programs; demonstrate a basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Power Point. Must demonstrate technical aptitude; proficiency in graphic design, web design and content management systems preferred.
The Convention Center offers a competitive compensation package that includes FREE Parking.
PUBLIC INFORMATION DIRECTOR I – PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT AND MEDIA RELATIONS – PORT OF NEW ORLEANS
Listing opens December 2, 2016, and closes December 23. Candidates must apply for this position on the LA Dept. of Civil Service website: www.dscs.state.la.us under Job Seekers. Please list desired salary (required) on this Civil Service Application, EOE.
Summary: The Public Information Director 1 – Public Engagement and Media Relations will work proactively and strategically to educate the general public about the Port and its value to the community and the state as a whole through media and public relations activities. Listed below is an elaboration on the main duties and responsibilities with an approximate percentage of expected time allocation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
25% Proactively develops and implements public engagement campaigns and media relations strategies and initiatives for the Port of New Orleans. Interprets Port programs and initiatives to inform the public and the media. Identifies potential public relations challenges in a timely fashion and advises staff of appropriate actions. Regularly informs top level staff and stakeholders on issues relating to public relations activities. Regularly monitors, evaluates and reports on public and media relations tactics for staff and stakeholders.
30% Acts as a public spokesperson and media liaison for the Port, as designated by the Vice President of Public Affairs. Proactively pitches stories to local, national and regional media contacts. Executes press tours, facilitates photography and interviews for media outlets. Plans and oversees press events.
30% Researches and composes articles, fact sheets and press releases that interpret Port issues for the public and media. Develops video/PowerPoint presentations. Researches materials for and writes talking points on selected topics for Port staff when addressing the media. Develops and executes social media education and outreach campaigns. Develops and executes public outreach campaigns for specific initiatives.
10% Initiates, develops and maintains public and media contacts. This includes maintaining and updating the press distribution contact list. Distributes press releases via email. Compiles and assembles press kits.
5% Collaborates with the Communications team to provide input on other public relations initiatives and functions for the Port as designated by the Director of Communications.
- A baccalaureate degree plus five years of professional level experience in the research, written preparation and dissemination of information to the public through such media as website, email, social media, publications, broadcasting, video, podcasts or public speaking. Degree in journalism a plus.
- Strong project management experience.
- Proven experience pitching local and national media and garnering pick-up.
- Experience with public engagement methods.
- Strong verbal, writing, editing and proofing skills (these skills may be tested).
- Experience with crisis management strategies and situations.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills, comfortable in live interviews.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, video and podcast creation, scripting, social media, website content management systems, email outreach systems, database management systems.
- Some travel necessary.