IABC New Orleans posts local job listings as a courtesy to our members. To add a listing to this page, please send information to Leslie Salinero at email@example.com. Job postings will be listed for 30 days. If you fill a job, please let us know right away so we can remove the posting from our site. We reserve the right to edit job postings to meet standards and accommodate space.
PUBLIC INFORMATION DIRECTOR I – PUBLIC ENGAGEMENT AND MEDIA RELATIONS – PORT OF NEW ORLEANS
Listing opens December 2, 2016, and closes December 23. Candidates must apply for this position on the LA Dept. of Civil Service website: www.dscs.state.la.us under Job Seekers. Please list desired salary (required) on this Civil Service Application, EOE.
Summary: The Public Information Director 1 – Public Engagement and Media Relations will work proactively and strategically to educate the general public about the Port and its value to the community and the state as a whole through media and public relations activities. Listed below is an elaboration on the main duties and responsibilities with an approximate percentage of expected time allocation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
25% Proactively develops and implements public engagement campaigns and media relations strategies and initiatives for the Port of New Orleans. Interprets Port programs and initiatives to inform the public and the media. Identifies potential public relations challenges in a timely fashion and advises staff of appropriate actions. Regularly informs top level staff and stakeholders on issues relating to public relations activities. Regularly monitors, evaluates and reports on public and media relations tactics for staff and stakeholders.
30% Acts as a public spokesperson and media liaison for the Port, as designated by the Vice President of Public Affairs. Proactively pitches stories to local, national and regional media contacts. Executes press tours, facilitates photography and interviews for media outlets. Plans and oversees press events.
30% Researches and composes articles, fact sheets and press releases that interpret Port issues for the public and media. Develops video/PowerPoint presentations. Researches materials for and writes talking points on selected topics for Port staff when addressing the media. Develops and executes social media education and outreach campaigns. Develops and executes public outreach campaigns for specific initiatives.
10% Initiates, develops and maintains public and media contacts. This includes maintaining and updating the press distribution contact list. Distributes press releases via email. Compiles and assembles press kits.
5% Collaborates with the Communications team to provide input on other public relations initiatives and functions for the Port as designated by the Director of Communications.
- A baccalaureate degree plus five years of professional level experience in the research, written preparation and dissemination of information to the public through such media as website, email, social media, publications, broadcasting, video, podcasts or public speaking. Degree in journalism a plus.
- Strong project management experience.
- Proven experience pitching local and national media and garnering pick-up.
- Experience with public engagement methods.
- Strong verbal, writing, editing and proofing skills (these skills may be tested).
- Experience with crisis management strategies and situations.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills, comfortable in live interviews.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, video and podcast creation, scripting, social media, website content management systems, email outreach systems, database management systems.
- Some travel necessary.